Photos of Pittsfield

 

Town Government:

Board of Selectmen

Beautification Committee

Budget Committee

Cable Advisory Committee

Conservation Commission

Drug And Alcohol Coalition

Economic Development

Emergency Management

Housing Standards Agency

Josiah Carpenter Library Board of Trustees

Master Plan Committee

Parks & Recreation

Planning Board

School Board

Trustees - Trust Funds

Website Committee

Zoning Board

Volunteer Application

 

Town Departments:

Fire Department

Police Department

Highway Department

Building Inspector

Josiah Carpenter Library

Selectmen's Office

Town Administrator

Town Clerk/Tax Collector

Solid Waste Facility

Waste Water Treatment

Welfare

Employment Opportunities

 

Forms/Permits/Documents:

Forms and Permits

Town Documents

 

Schools:

School District SAU#51

Elementary School Website

Middle High School Website

 

Service Organizations:

Chamber of Commerce

S. Pittsfield Community Ctr

Historical Society

Rotary Club

Senior Center

Pittsfield Players

Pittsfield Youth Workshop

Pittsfield Listens

Pittsfield Youth Baseball

List of Town Organizations

 

News & Announcements:

Community Center Activites

Public Notices

Community Bulletin Board

Town Calendar

Pittsfield NH Webcam

 

Public Information:

Pittsfield Business Links

Churches

Old Home Day

Parks & Trails

Pittsfield Photographs

Balloon Festival

 

 

 

Historical Walking Trail - Pittsfield NH

 

~ Continued ~

 

24.  Across the street is a Federal Style residence constructed c1826 as a boarding house for female employees of the Cotton Mill. It has traditionally been known as Old Number 1 because it is the first house at the bottom of Factory Hill. In 1836, Mr. and Mrs. Eben Swett and their son John moved into the building as managers. John, later the famous California educator, disliked "town life"and was much relieved when the family returned to their farm the following year. The commercial panic of 1837 had rendered the business unprofitable because of the high cost of food stuffs.

 

John Swett

John Swett

 

25.  Crossing Main Street you will come to the site where a five-story woolen mill was erected during 1826. The following May it burned to the ground under very suspicious circumstances. The factory was much hated by farmers whose daughters left their farms to work in the mill and many attribute the loss to agrarian arsonists. Rebuilt of bricks made near Webster's Mills, the new Cotton Mill building survived until the tragic fire of 1995. At the time it was one of the oldest mills in continuous use in N. H. The smoke stack, erected in 1883 of 100,000 bricks, as well as the lintel of the 1827 factory, survived the fire.

 

Cotton Mill

Cotton Mill

 

26.  Crossing to Water Street you will come to the site near where John Cram constructed his dam and grist mill during 1768-69 and effectively founded the Town of Pittsfield. The dam was constructed by chopping trees from both sides of the river and filling in behind with brush, stones and gravel. In 1826 James Joy, then owner of the Cotton Mill, erected a new wooden dam. The next was built in 1883 and during construction, human remains and a long axe thought to be a tomahawk, were found. It is believed that they were relics of an old Indian settlement. The present dam was built in 1920 and still generates electrical power which is sold to Public Service of New Hampshire.

 

James Joy's Dam of 1826

James Joy's Dam of 1826

 

27.  Turning onto River Road you will come to the location of one of Pittsfield's earliest schools. When the Town granted Mr. Joy the right to erect his dam in 1826, the mill pond substantially increased in size causing the River Schoolhouse to be relocated. One of the early teachers in the school was Master Joseph Odiorne, who also served as town clerk for 28 years. At the bottom of his notes of the 1810 annual meeting he wrote that they had been recorded "with a metallic pen," probably the first used in Pittsfield. Among his students were two individuals who would later gain national reputations, educator John Swett and antiquarian Samuel G. Drake, who helped found the New England Historic Genealogical Society.

 

Samuel G. Drake

Samuel G. Drake

 

28.  Further down River Road is the site of Mary's Bridge, one of two covered bridges in Pittsfield during the Nineteenth Century. Erected in 1874, it was named after Mary Bodge, a 23 year old woman who had drowned here the previous winter. Mr. Butman, who likely lived in the house just across the river, and Captain Towle, had removed the little foot bridge in order to let ice pass underneath. The unsuspecting Mary, returning from work in the dark of night, attempted to cross where she had traversed earlier in the day. Her screams were heard  on both sides of the river and people rushed to her aid, but to no avail.

 

Mary's Bridge 1874-1910

Mary's Bridge 1874-1910

 

Old Steel Bridge 1910-97
Old Steel Bridge 1910-97

 

29.  Further down Bridge Street is the Parsonage House, erected c1843. The building originally served as the parsonage for the Free Will Baptist Church on Park Street. In 1907 it was sold to blacksmith George Emerson and moved to Fayette Street. Its first occupant was veterinarian Dr. A. E. Atwood. The building was later purchased by industrialist Fritz Petig who, in 1950, decided to build a new home on the site. The building was then sold to Kenneth Garland and moved to its present location.

 

30.  Passing a number of ornate Nineteenth Century homes, you will come to the first site of the Pittsfield Weaving Company. The building was originally located on Depot Street and housed a wheel wright shop and horse shoeing business. It was moved here early in the Twentieth Century and for a while was occupied by the short-lived Wilkinson Shoe Company. In 1926 a trio of German immigrants led by Fritz Petig, with capital supplied locally, began one of the great American success stories. Their woven label business increased steadily surviving the Great Depression and by 1982 had outgrown its quarters. The building was torn down that year and replaced with the modern one across the street.

 

Pittsfield Weaving Company 1928

Pittsfield Weaving Company 1928

 

 

 


Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6


 

 

This trail data/booklet was prepared by Larry Berkson, President of the Pittsfield Historical Society.  Without his diligence this material would not be available.

 

 

Printable Trail Map & Legend

Printable History Guide

 

More on Pittsfield's History | See Other Parks & Trails

 

 

Search Town Website


Town Hall Hours

85 Main St.
Monday:11:00am - 7:00pm
Tuesday-Friday:8:00am - 4:00pm


Pittsfield Towncrier

by Andi Riel


~ Public Notices ~

View More Notices on the   Public Notice Board


Request For Bids 

The Town of Pittsfield is accepting bids for the cleanup of a burned homesite at 136 Rocky Point Road.  The project will consist of removing the remains of the burned building, dismantling and burying or removing the crumbled foundation, and leveling out the land.

More Info


Pittsfield Fire Department

Does your house have a number on it and is it clearly visible from the road? The Pittsfield Firefighters Association can help. More


Vontuteers Needed for the Emergency Shelter

The Emergency Managment Shelter Director is looking for volunteers to help in times on emergency.  Read More.


Foss Family Scholorship
All PMHS graduates extending their education beyond high school may apply for a scholarship to pursue a two-year or four-year degree or technical/trade school education.
Deadline: May 1, 2014
Info | Application

Sanderson Trust Fund
Click Here for the printable application for the Sanderson Trust Fund.

Concord Regional CrimeLine
Needs Your Help to stop crime! More.

Keep Our Kids Safe!
Take action to prevent underage alcohol parties Call TIPP (603) 226-3100

Food Pantry in Need of Donations!

Don't wait for a food drive! Bring in donations of any size. Click Here for a list of needed items!


Senior/Disabled Resident Call-in Program

Want the fire dept. to check on you daily? Click Here!


Neighborhood Watch

Call John Webber 435-7535

Click Here for more info and the Volunteer Citizens Patrol


Restaurant Owners

interested in providing kitchen scraps to local farmers for fertilizer or animal feed. Please contact. More


All Burning Requires a Permit!

Stop by the fire station or call 435-6807 for burning conditions and permits.

Click Here for more info


Also see Cable Channel 24! Send Request for Ch.24


~ Things to do ~

View More Events on The Community Bulletin Board


Old Home Day

Date: July 19, 2014

Theme: "Off to the Races"

More Info


Weight Lost! ,

Tops is a not for profit take off lbs sensible program meeting are on Tues. More


Walk The Historical Trail!

Click Here for Guides/Maps


 

 

Site Map | Website Policies | Contact Website Committee | About This Site

 

Copyright 2014 Town of Pittsfield, New Hampshire