Photos of Pittsfield

 

Town Government:

Board of Selectmen

Beautification Committee

Budget Committee

Cable Advisory Committee

Conservation Commission

Drug And Alcohol Coalition

Economic Development

Ethics Committee

Housing Standards Agency

Josiah Carpenter Library Board of Trustees

Master Plan Committee

Parks & Recreation

Planning Board

School Board

Trustees - Trust Funds

Website Committee

Zoning Board

Volunteer Application

 

Town Departments:

Fire Department
Police Department
Highway Department
Building Inspector

Josiah Carpenter Library

Selectmen's Office

Town Administrator
Town Clerk/Tax Collector
Solid Waste Facility
Waste Water Treatment
Welfare
Employment Opportunities

 

Forms/Permits/Documents:

Forms and Permits

Town Documents
 
Schools
School District SAU#51
Elementary School Website
Middle High School Website
 

Service Organizations:

Chamber of Commerce
Historical Society
Rotary Club
Senior Center
Pittsfield Players
Pittsfield Youth Workshop
Pittsfield Youth Baseball
List of Town Organizations
 

News & Announcements:

Community Ctr Activities
Public Notices
Community Bulletin Board
Town Calendar
Pittsfield NH Webcam
 

Public Information:

Pittsfield Business Links
Churches
Old Home Day
Parks & Trails
Pittsfield Photographs
Balloon Festival
 

 

 

Historical Walking Trail - Pittsfield NH

 

~ Continued ~

 

 10.  The next stop on the trail is the elaborate Second Empire style Tuttle Mansion erected in 1875 by Hiram A. Tuttle, later governor of New Hampshire. The distinctive Mansard Roof was lost during a fire in 1911, a month after Gov. Tuttle's death. It was restored by his widow and today the building appears very much like when it did when originally constructed. Of particular interest is the granite stepping stone emblazoned with the word "Tuttle" by the side of the street. This stone was used by women to mount horses before the advent of the automobile.

 

Tuttle Mansion c1900

 

 11.  Across the street is the Memorial School. This Neoclassic and Prairie style building erected in 1910, is notable for its gabled entry portico. The slate roof is original. The building was a gift to the town by Governor and Mrs. Tuttle in honor of their daughter, Harriet Folsom, who was serving on the school board at her untimely death. the Calvinist Baptist Church which originally occupied this site was torn down to make way for the school. Interestingly, the bell on the front lawn was a gift to the church from the community at-large as is noted in the inscription. 

 

Calvinist Baptist Church 1854-1910)

 

 


Memorial School 1910


 

12.  Returning to the north side of Main Street you will come to the site of the original Pittsfield Bank, established in 1850. Its offices were in the two East Rooms of the former Pinkham Hotel. The remainder of the building was occupied as a dwelling by Charles H. Carpenter, the bank's first cashier, and his family. His daughter Electa, who literally grew up in the banking business, was elected president in 1915. At the time she was the only female bank president in NH and one of only two female bank presidents in the US. Unfortunately the magnificent brick building was torn down in 1938 to make way for a gasoline station. The present building was erected in 1974.

 

Brick Bank Building

 

 


Electa Goss

 

13.  Further west on Main Street past the War Memorial in Dustin Park is the Opera House Block. This large frame commercial structure, erected in 1883 with Italianate details including quoins, segmental arched windows and wooden storefronts, was originally three stories in height.   It was the vision of  John Goss, Electa's husband, and Charles H. Carpenter. After two stories had been completed they ran out of money and admitted Hiram Tuttle as a part owner who supplied funds for the third. This floor, removed in 1963, contained the famous opera house and was the Town's social center for much of the Twentieth Century. 

 

Opera House Block

 

 14.  Across the street is the Carpenter Library. Erected in 1901 in time for Pittsfield's first Old Home Week, this Neoclassic building, designed by William A. Butterfield, was a gift to the town by Mr. and Mrs. Josiah Carpenter. Mrs. Carpenter was the daughter of James Drake and grew up in the home two buildings to the east. Mr. Carpenter was a brother to Charles H. Carpenter, had served as cashier in the Pittsfield Bank, and subsequently made a fortune in the banking business in Manchester.

 

 15.  The Second Empire house topped by a Mansard Roof  to the west of the library was built by John Berry c1875. Mr. Berry was one of the most prominent and colorful individuals in Pittsfield during the Nineteenth Century, helping to found Pittsfield Academy, Pittsfield Savings Bank, and the Suncook Valley Railroad. Because of his prominence he was affectionately known as "Uncle John." His son, John M. Berry, moved to Minnesota after attending Yale College, served in the territorial legislature, on the board of regents of the state university, and was elected an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court in 1864 where he served until his death in 1887

 

16.  The next building, known in the early days as the John Berry Stand, was constructed in 1818. It was one of the first business establishments on Main Street. Mr. Berry ran a general store here for decades. After his death Ellery B. Ring operated a hardware store in the building for many years. Between 1907 and 1953 it was occupied by the Valley Times newspaper, and subsequently by flower shops. Today it serves as an apartment building.

 

Ellery B. Ring Store

 

17.  Returning to the North side of Main Street you will come to Fort Wilkins, erected c1836. This stick style building with its Nineteenth Century storefront intact, at one time contained the Pittsfield Savings Bank, chartered in 1855. The bank's principal asset was an 18" safe for holding money which was kept behind the counter of secretary-treasurer Lowell Brown's "tin plate" shop which also occupied the building at the time. In 1866 the building was acquired by the infamous dentist Dr. G. G. Wilkins who also sold firearms and animal pelts among other items, and thus acquired the name Ft. Wilkins.

 

Tuttle Building 1870-76, Congregational Church 1839-76, and Fort Wilkins

 

 

 


Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6


 

 

This trail data/booklet was prepared by Larry Berkson, President of the Pittsfield Historical Society.  Without his diligence this material would not be available.

 

 

Printable Trail Map & Legend

Printable History Guide

 

More on Pittsfield's History | See Other Parks & Trails

 

 

 
 
Weather Forecast
 

Search Town Website


Pittsfield Towncrier

by Andi Riel


~ Public Notices ~

View More Notices on the  Public Notice Board


TAX DEED REAL ESTATE The Town of Pittsfield  is accepting bids for the purchase of certain town tax deeded real estate. More


Anyone interested in serving on the Budget Committee or Housing Standards Agency, please contact Paul Skowron.


Winter Parking Ban

No parking in Town between the hours of 10pm to 7am from Nov 15 to Apr 15.


Conservation Commission is seeking volunteers to serve as members. More


Public Notice

The Master Plan Committee is looking for volunteers. Please call Ralph Odell at 435-7397.


PUBLIC NOTICE

~ Help Needed ~

Pittsfield Parks & Recreation Commission is seeking members for our committee.


Commercial Property Energy Efficiency Grant
The NH Public Utilities Commission is providing an opportunity to apply for a rebate, up to $50,000, if you have retrofitted your property for energy efficiency.
Pre-Installation Form
Post-Installation Form

The Police Department is now using Twitter to update community events and news.

Concord Regional CrimeLine Needs Your Help to stop crime! More.

Keep Our Kids Safe!
Take action to prevent underage alcohol parties Call TIPP (603) 226-3100

Food Pantry in Need of Donations!

Don't wait for a food drive! Bring in donations of any size. Click Here for a list of needed items!


Senior/Disabled Resident Call-in Program

Want the fire dept. to check on you daily? Click Here!


Neighborhood Watch

Call John Webber 435-7535

Click Here for more info and the Volunteer Citizens Patrol


All Burning Requires a Permit!

Stop by the fire station or call 435-6807 for burning conditions and permits.

Click Here for more info


Also see Cable Channel 24!

Send Request for Ch.24


~ Things to do ~

View More Events on The Community Bulletin Board


Weight Lost!

Tops is a not for profit take off lbs sensible program meeting are on Tues. More


Walk The Historical Trail!

Click Here for Guides/Maps


 

 

Site Map | Website Policies | Contact Website Committee | About This Site

 

Copyright 2011 Town of Pittsfield, New Hampshire