Photos of Pittsfield


Town Government:

Board of Selectmen

Beautification Committee

Budget Committee

Cable Advisory Committee

Conservation Commission

Drug And Alcohol Coalition

Economic Development

Emergency Management

Housing Standards Agency

Josiah Carpenter Library Board of Trustees

Master Plan Committee

Parks & Recreation

Planning Board

School Board

Trustees - Trust Funds

Website Committee

Zoning Board

Volunteer Application


Town Departments:

Fire Department

Police Department

Highway Department

Building Inspector

Josiah Carpenter Library

Selectmen's Office

Town Administrator

Town Clerk/Tax Collector

Solid Waste Facility

Waste Water Treatment


Employment Opportunities



Forms and Permits

Town Documents



School District SAU#51

Elementary School Website

Middle High School Website


Service Organizations:

Chamber of Commerce

S. Pittsfield Community Ctr

Historical Society

Rotary Club

Senior Center

Pittsfield Players

Pittsfield Youth Workshop

Pittsfield Listens

Pittsfield Youth Baseball

List of Town Organizations


News & Announcements:

Community Center Activites

Public Notices

Community Bulletin Board

Town Calendar

Pittsfield NH Webcam


Public Information:

Pittsfield Business Links


Old Home Day

Parks & Trails

Pittsfield Photographs

Balloon Festival




Historical Walking Trail - Pittsfield NH


Pittsfield, New Hampshire, the "Gem of the Suncook Valley," was first settled by John Cram in 1768. Originally a part of Chichester, it was incorporated in 1782 with a population of approximately 518 people. It enjoyed steady growth except during the Civil War when most of its men left for the battlefield. The post war era was one of the most important in the Town's history. It brought the telegraph, telephone, railroad and a local newspaper. Between 1870-90 its population increased nearly 63%. It was during this period that many of the governmental buildings and business establishments were constructed. Most remain today and form the heart of Pittsfield's Historic Trail.


Pittsfield's Historic Walking Trail


 1.  The trail begins at Frank Lyman Park the site of the old Yellow Block apartment building. The park which now exists on this spot was erected entirely by volunteers in honor of the local industrialist and benefactor, Frank Lyman. The rough granite in the wall was mined in Pittsfield while the cut granite came from Concord. The canopy over the kiosk is a replica of the race track starter's stand at the old Pittsfield Fair.


 The Queen Anne style "Yellow Block"  erected in 1883, was originally 30' x 40' and two stories high. Another story was added later as were side additions. For decades it was painted yellow and thus its name. Gradually it fell into disuse, was purchased by the town in 1992 and was razed in 1995.


Yellow Block c1900

Yellow Block c1900


 2.  Further down Carroll Street is Cram Avenue. The four brick buildings in Second Empire style were constructed by Charles T. Cram, great grandson of Pittsfield founder John Cram, with bricks manufactured locally. Distinctive are the "French" or Mansard roofs which were becoming popular at the time.


 3.  Next on the Trail is the site of the old Mayett and Globe Buildings. The plaza was designed by the Historical Society in cooperation with Rite Aid. The bricks in the walkway were taken from the old Globe Building.


 The Mayett Hotel, erected in 1891, was owned and operated by a woman, Mrs. Marietta Tallant, a rather unusual circumstance at the time. She was the daughter of one of the largest landowners in Pittsfield, Sir Moses D. Perkins. A sign on the side of the building advertised that it was heated by steam and thus its nickname, Hotel Steam Heat. Mrs. Tallant died in 1919 and the hotel, falling into disuse, was razed in 1930.


Mayett Hotel c1910

Mayett Hotel c1910


 The Globe Manufacturing Building, designed by architect William A. Butterfield,  was erected behind the hotel in 1922. C. F. H. Freese purchased a leather manufacturing business in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1901 for $350 and brought it to Pittsfield. The company first advertised waterproof clothing for firemen the following year and within three years had tripled its business. Emblazoned on the roof of the new building in large letters was the word "Pittsfield". On July 25, 1927 Charles A. Lindberg, enroute to Concord, used the landmark to verify his course. The lettering was removed during World War II.


Globe Building c1956

Globe Building c1956


 4.  Across the street in Aranosian Park is a sign commemorating the Suncook Valley Railroad built in 1869. The Depot stood to the southeast near where the concrete block building is now located and the round table, used for reversing the direction of the train, and engine house were located on the site of the grocery store to the north. Immediately after its construction a building boom took place in Pittsfield and the town became the economic hub of the area. The railroad hauled farm products, lumber and the U. S. mail until its closing in 1952. It also hauled large quantities of blueberries, hence its nickname, the "Blueberry Express".


Pittsfield Depot c1900

Pittsfield Depot c1900



Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6



This trail data/booklet was prepared by Larry Berkson, President of the Pittsfield Historical Society.  Without his diligence this material would not be available.



Printable Trail Map & Legend

Printable History Guide


More on Pittsfield's History | See Other Parks & Trails



Weather Forecast

Search Town Website

Town Hall Hours

85 Main St.
Monday:11:00am - 7:00pm
Tuesday-Friday:8:00am - 4:00pm

Pittsfield Towncrier

by Andi Riel

~ Public Notices ~

View More Notices on the   Public Notice Board

Pittsfield Welfare Dept 

Free Home Retention Clinic on May 14 in Franklin. More

Request For Bids 

The Town of Pittsfield is accepting bids for the cleanup of a burned homesite at 136 Rocky Point Road.  The project will consist of removing the remains of the burned building, dismantling and burying or removing the crumbled foundation, and leveling out the land.

More Info

Pittsfield Fire Department

Does your house have a number on it and is it clearly visible from the road? The Pittsfield Firefighters Association can help. More

Vontuteers Needed for the Emergency Shelter

The Emergency Managment Shelter Director is looking for volunteers to help in times on emergency.  Read More.

Foss Family Scholorship
All PMHS graduates extending their education beyond high school may apply for a scholarship to pursue a two-year or four-year degree or technical/trade school education.
Deadline: May 1, 2014
Info | Application

Sanderson Trust Fund
Click Here for the printable application for the Sanderson Trust Fund.

Concord Regional CrimeLine
Needs Your Help to stop crime! More.

Keep Our Kids Safe!
Take action to prevent underage alcohol parties Call TIPP (603) 226-3100

Food Pantry in Need of Donations!

Don't wait for a food drive! Bring in donations of any size. Click Here for a list of needed items!

Senior/Disabled Resident Call-in Program

Want the fire dept. to check on you daily? Click Here!

Neighborhood Watch

Call John Webber 435-7535

Click Here for more info and the Volunteer Citizens Patrol

Restaurant Owners

interested in providing kitchen scraps to local farmers for fertilizer or animal feed. Please contact. More

All Burning Requires a Permit!

Stop by the fire station or call 435-6807 for burning conditions and permits.

Click Here for more info

Also see Cable Channel 24! Send Request for Ch.24

~ Things to do ~

View More Events on The Community Bulletin Board

South Pittsfield Community Club Ham & Bean Suppers

May 17, 2014

May 31, 2014

June 14, 2014

June 28, 2014

5:00pm - 6:30pm

More Info

Old Home Day

Date: July 19, 2014

Theme: "Off to the Races"

More Info

Weight Lost!

Tops is a not for profit take off lbs sensible program meeting are on Tues. More

Walk The Historical Trail!

Click Here for Guides/Maps



Site Map | Website Policies | Contact Website Committee | About This Site


Copyright 2014 Town of Pittsfield, New Hampshire