What is required to build or expand a business?

Depending upon what you need to do, you will either need a building permit or a site plan approval along with building permit.


What is a building permit?

A building permit is issued by the Building Inspector and is used to ensure that what is being proposed is safe and meets all relevant requirements. Contact Dick Moreau, Building Inspector for details at 435-6773 x 4.


What is a site plan approval?

Site plan approval is required for larger-scale development efforts. An expansion or change of use will require a site plan. In particular, when:


 - For a Major Site Plan:

  • New development on undeveloped land

  • When the expansion of an existing structure results in a 10% or more physical expansion of floor area or results in an increase in the number of parking spaces.

  • If the plan involves a change in use within the use categories as identified within the zoning ordinance which results in changes to the exterior of the building or an existing approved site plan.

 - For a Minor Site Plan:

  • An expansion or change of use that is less than that of a major site plan.

  • If Planning Board considers a proposal to have the potential for significant impact a major site plan may be required.

  - For all site plans:

  • Contact Dick Moreau, Building Inspector for details at 435-6773 x 4.

  • Have a conceptual consultation with the Planning Board.

How long does it take to get a building permit or site plan approval?

A building permit could take a few days. A site plan could be a month or 2 (depending upon the type of site plan and level of detail). Please contact Dick Moreau at 435-6773 x 4 to discuss your specific situation in more detail.


What is the process for getting a building permit or site plan approval?

First, contact Dick Moreaur, Building Inspector at 435-6773 x 4 for either permit. Daniel issues the Building permits. For a site plan approval, the Pittsfield Planning Board is required to issue the approval. Daniel and Dee Fritz, Planning Board Secretary, along with Matt Monahan at Central New Hampshire Regional Planning Commission will assist you with this process. In basic terms, an engineered plan is submitted to the town, Dee, Daniel and Matt will review the plan with your designer and any required changes will be pointed out. From there, a public hearing with the Planning Board will take place. The last step once approved is to meet any conditions of approval and get your building permit from Daniel.


What are the costs of a building permit and/or site plan approval?

Contact Dick Moreau, Building Inspector at 435-6773 x 4 for building permit costs and Dee Fritz , Planning Board Secretary at 603-435-6773 for site plan application costs.


Do other towns in New Hampshire require this?

Yes. The difference in Pittsfield is that the town will do its best to ensure that there are no surprises in the process. We will work with you so that you know what to expect every step of the way.


When is Town Staff available?

Dick Moreau, Building Inspector is available on Mon., Wed., Fri.: 8:30am-4:30pm and Dee Fritz is available on Tues., Wed. and Thurs. 8:00am – 4:00pm.


How do I determine what zoning district my property is in and if what I want to do is permitted?

Contact Dick Moreau, Building Inspector at 435-6773 x 4.



Website Design by Matt Goodwin | Photos by Bob Legg

Why Pittsfield  |  News & Events  |  Commercial Properties  |  Businesses  |  Contact   |   Town Website